Sunday, February 9, 2014

The New Weird - Donnie Darko


This week, we talked about the "New Weird".

I honestly wasn't sure what to think about this genre of literature, since it's like a mix of horror, but with a tinge of something else.

Instead of doing a reading, I decided to watch the movie "Donnie Darko". This particular movie has been in my "to watch" list for quite some time now, especially since so many of my friends have been ranting and raving at how good it is. I had a small idea of what the movie was about...a teenage boy and his freaky looking, imaginary demonic bunny. That was about it. But, I had an open mind to it. So, I settled down and watched it, unsure of what to expect.


From our teacher's blog, the definition of the "New Weird" is as follows: "The term evokes the old Weird Tales Magazine, a pulp magazine in which a range of stories appeared  dramatizing uncanny experience, tales of the monstrous, or experiences with the supernatural." 


Well, in Donnie Darko's case, this film would probably fall under "tales of the monstrous". I had literally no idea that this film focused on a kid with more then one mental illness. And it came as such a huge shock that he didn't actually live the life in the film, he only imagined it (not to give any spoilers aways).  For me, the monstrous part of "tales of the monstrous" isn't Donnie and it isn't his obviously decline in mental health; I think it's all the connections that the movie sets up and makes, which is why it might be considered the "New Weird".  

One of the more interesting connections the movie makes is with Roberta Sparrow. The first time I watched it, I would have never guessed that the crazy old lady that we encounter is a major, important role in this story. After finding a book about time travel, and really getting into the theories of it, Donnie, from another person, learns that the crazy old lady us viewers encounter no less then 10 mins into the movie is so important, since she wrote the book that Donnie is so interested in. I honestly did not see that one coming, perhaps because I enjoyed the story too much or whatever. But when it's finally revealed, it's like, whoa, it all makes sense now. 


But, then again, so much in the film is just weird; however, I must say that I really did enjoy this film, and was very glad I watched it. 

One last thing: who knew Drew Barrymore was such a hottie in this film? 





No comments:

Post a Comment